On Apr 25, 9:59 pm, Thilo-Alexander Ginkel <th...@ginkel.com> wrote:
> > The weird thing is, the problem goes away if I use
> > SCREEN_DIM_WAKE_LOCK instead.  But I really don't want to drain my
> > users' batteries needlessly.
>
> That looks somewhat similar to the problem I described at:
>  http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers/browse_thread/threa...
>
> Seems as if HTC are applying some very aggressive power saving when
> the screen is turned off. Unfortunately, I do not yet have a solution
> (there must be one [most likely undocumented] as the native phone
> application is not affected).

After reading the PowerManager source code, I figured out that there
seems to be an undocumented wake lock for the CPU, which is used along
with a SCREEN_DIM_WAKE_LOCK, but not with a PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK:

-- 8< --
    private static final int WAKE_BIT_CPU_STRONG = 1;
    private static final int WAKE_BIT_CPU_WEAK = 2;
    [...]

    /**
     * Wake lock that ensures that the CPU is running.  The screen
might
     * not be on.
     */
    public static final int PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK = WAKE_BIT_CPU_STRONG;
    [...]

    /**
     * Wake lock that ensures that the screen is on (but may be
dimmed);
     * the keyboard backlight will be allowed to go off.
     */
    public static final int SCREEN_DIM_WAKE_LOCK = WAKE_BIT_CPU_WEAK |
WAKE_BIT_SCREEN_DIM;
-- 8< --

Can you try what happens if you acquire the wake lock with the
WAKE_BIT_CPU_WEAK set? I'd try it myself, but am a little short on
time right now.

Regards,
Thilo