to clarify, we're deving an app that makes several downloads over HTTP
using components from the org.apache.http namespace. when testing this
app using the emulator, throttling the emulator's network settings has
no effect on downloads thru those HTTP components.

perhaps the emulator's network settings are for something else? maybe
i should use different HTTP components?

Anyone? Bueller?