The next question is:

How do we developers get access to a shared partition on the internal
storage (e.g. /emmc)? What method call can we use to obtain it so that
at least we can select it if necessary (e.g. give user the option to
use external storage or shared internal storage)? How would we do this
in a way that won't break on other phones?