westmeadboy wrote:
> I have one WidgetProvider but expect the user to have multiple
> instances of the widget on the home screen.
>
> When the user clicks on the widget, an intent is fired to start an
> activity A passing a String extra (which is specific to that instance
> of the app widget).
>
> Everything works fine unless the activity is already running, in which
> case the activity is shown in its previous state (and so the intent
> extra data is ignored).
>
> I've tried using various Intent flags (like FLAG_ACTIVITY_NEW_TASK)
> but they don't seem to help.

Try FLAG_ACTIVITY_SINGLE_TOP and then override onNewIntent() in your
activity -- you should get the extra that way.

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Activity.html#onNewIntent(android.content.Intent)

--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

Android Training in US: 14-18 June 2010: http://bignerdranch.com