On May 5, 7:49 am, Alain <aarn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The issue is not string[] or List<string> but with Dalvik VM issuing a
> ReferenceTable overflow (max=512)
>
> The call to String[] items =
> getResources().getStringArray(R.array.arrayname);
>
> The array has 770 entries. I can split the array into two arrays or
> can the ReferenceTable size be increased?

Sounds like buggy JNI code in the Android framework.  I'm guessing the
above is eventually calling into
android_content_AssetManager_getArrayStringResource in frameworks/base/
core/jni/android_util_AssetManager.cpp.

The function there is looping over all entries, creating new strings,
and not deleting local references as it goes.  Eventually the local
ref table overflows.

I'm not sufficiently familiar with the asset management stuff to
suggest a workaround.  I'll file a bug and ask around.