Right now, the Droid is probably the least expensive development phone
you can get. There are hundreds available on e-Bay for around
$250-300. One of the most popular devices out there now for Android is
the Droid, so if you're going to develop for the masses, then the
Droid (or the Milestone as a GSM version) is the device to have.

Many of the devs who received a Droid in the Market seeding program
are selling or have already sold their phones, the US based attendees
for Google IO received Droids as well and a lot of those people will
be selling them also. I have two of them myself and AT&T as my carrier
so they can only be used as development devices... want to buy one?

-John Coryat