Hmmh, also no answer to this question on themes. Maybe the answer cannot be
given with two lines? So let me explain what I would expect step by step and
you stop me were I deviate from the Golden Path? I'll try yes/no questions.

In the simplest terms I would expect that in every place I can specify a
color in RGB (#ffff) I could also specify a symbolic name instead. This
should work like @color/xyz, but with one more level of indirection that
lets me switch between themes, like dark and light.

Is that possible?

I would expect those themes to be applicable to (a) widgets, (b) drawables
(see the mentioned example) and (c) when I need to style something myself
like HTML. Are (a) - (c) possible?

Furthermore I would expect that I could define style keys myself, but I got
the impression that only keys from the "android" namespace can be used? That
lead me to believe that you can't define abstract colors, but only styles
for specific attributes used in the widgets' implementations.

And again, if there is any meaningful documentation I would be happy to read
it. Just send me the link or name of the book.