If I understand your question correctly, then yes.

In your manifest, just set the following:

  <uses-sdk
    android:minSdkVersion="3"
    android:targetSdkVersion="6" />

the app will still work on 1.5+. Just make sure you don't use any SDK
methods that don't exist on earlier platforms without checking the
user's local sdk version.