> Create a helper class, sometimes static if it makes sense, that does the
> work you find yourself copying and pasting. For GPS, for example, I have a
> class that takes care of starting and stopping the GPS funtionality, keeps
> track of the current location, can return it in various forms (coordinates,
> named location, etc), notifies of location updates, and handles other
> related tasks.
>
> Each activity that requires it just instantiates it with the proper
> parameters (provider, criteria, frequency, etc), calls start and stop as
> necessary, and lets the class handle the rest.

Which is what I did while waiting for an answer.
I know that code duplication is bad, I just needed the best way to fix
it.
Since java does not support multiple inheritance, creating a
superclass just for share the code doesn't feel so natural, which is
the reason why I went for the helper class.
Many thanks for the complete and detalied answer.

Federico