Quick question guys. I have no real knowledge in this but am quite
interested.

Assuming that the devices belong to an enterprise, can you just
replace the Home application with your application? Like...

http://developer.android.com/resources/samples/Home/index.html

That way when the home button was pressed it would just open up the
app again. Additionally, could you use some of the "single task",
"single instance" type flags to ensure "there can be only one".

Home -> goes back to you.

is the user offered a choice of home apps? Can that be made permanent?

Back -> goes back to you or can be disabled.

Menu - > can be disabled
          ->  no longer exposes the settings to manage applications
(or is there an alternate way?)

I would imagine that user permission is required to initially set the
home application? Again  is this a permanent? Can enterprise users be
prevented from resetting the home app?

Whilst the average user would never want to do such a thing. There are
many enterprise applications - including the one I am working on.

Best Regards,
Geoff

PS. I'll have a play and see what happens with the sample app.