On May 11, 11:00 am, Nathan <critter...@crittermap.com> wrote:
> I don't know, but I find the summary of it interesting. .

<SNIP>

> Baloney. Reengineering itself is an illegal use. There is no GOOD
> purpose it should be used for. It is a piracy tool pure and simple.
>
> Nathan

I disagree.

Reverse engineering could let me implement a fix for a bug in an
application I bought legally when the original authors can't or won't
support it in the ways I need.
Reverse engineering can let me read their code to see if a security
hole exists, like them sharing my credit card information in
unapproved ways or calling a 1-900 number in the middle of the night.
Reverse engineering can let programmers read and learn from examples
of production quality code.

There are plenty of moral (as distinct from legal) uses for reverse
engineering.

I believe reverse engineering is still legal in the US under the DMCA,
but I also believe distributing tools whose primary purpose is to
enable removal of data obfuscation is illegal.  I don't know how that
law would apply to this example in the US, and of course local law
would apply for other parts of the world.

Bobby