> > Music players were the most common example for remote services even on
> > Google's SDK site.
> Got a link for that handy?

Sorry, can't find it right now... Maybe I just misunderstood
something?

> > How is it possible to enable playing while the
> > app's in background without a remote service?
> Simple: don't use a remote service.

As said, in that case the music stops when no activity of my app is
visible, though on some devices only after the current track finishes.
I sometimes remove the process=":remote" for debugging reasons
(breakpoints won't work for a remote service), and when I forget to
add it again before distribution, I get lots of complaints... So I'd
prefer to do it without for this reason as well...

> For example, the Music app that is
> part of the open source project uses this service declaration in its
> manifest:
> <service android:name="MediaPlaybackService" android:exported="true" />

Strange... Maybe the "exported" attribute makes the difference? Or
might there be anything else? onStartCommand and its return value
doesn't exist in Android 1.x, so that shouldn't be it...