All right, I seem to have accidentally figured this out.  Hopefully my
explanation can help others having similar problems.

The problem seems to be not with the .nomedia file or with the
parameters in the ContentValues (my first guesses), but rather with
the names of the directories.  Apparently, when you save ringtones or
notifications to the SD card, you HAVE to put them in a directory
called "ringtones" or "notifications."  It doesn't seem to matter what
the parent directory is called (e.g. "/sdcard/foo/ringtones"), but the
names of the bottom-level directories have some special significance.

For instance, if you save an audio file to /sdcard/ringtones, and
insert it into the MediaStore with IS_NOTIFICATION and IS_RINGTONE
both set to true, the file will be visible as both a ringtone and a
notification - at least until you reboot.  Once you reboot, Android
will overwrite those values and set everything to false except for
IS_RINGTONE, so it will no longer show up as a notification.  Likewise
for /sdcard/notifications, except that it will set everything to false
except IS_NOTIFICATION.

So this means you apparently can't have an audio file that is both a
ringtone and a notification - if you want it to survive a reboot,
anyway.

And if you save the file to some other directory name (e.g. /sdcard/
foo), then on reboot Android will just delete the row from the
"audio_meta" table entirely, and the files will not show up as either
a ringtone or a notification (which is what was happening to me).  Or,
if you don't have a .nomedia file in that folder, it might try to
reinterpret it as a IS_MUSIC audio file, meaning it will show up in
the Music app.

Also, Android will rename the title of the ringtone to be whatever the
filename is minus the filetype suffix.  So I have to save the file as
the MediaStore.MediaColumns.TITLE value plus ".ogg", or else Android
will just rename it for me after a reboot.

I'm glad that I found a solution, but this feels really hacky.  Is
there a better way to do this?  Also, does anyone know where the
documentation is for "ringtones" and "notifications" being keywords
for folder names?  I looked in both RingtoneManager and MediaStore,
but couldn't find any mention of it.

Also, I've only tested this on a Nexus One running Eclair, so I'm not
sure if other phones or Android versions show the same behavior.