In my case I have one class called SupportedFeatures()  which allows
me to easily choose properly the supported features for a phone.  Here
is where I do all the hard work to figure out what android version
it's running what hardware is available... Just one centralized zone
for the little fragments of android :)

So, if you want to use a new feature by a new Android builld, say
Android 2.1, when the app is compiled against Android 1.5 than use
reflection.
http://developer.android.com/resources/articles/backward-compatibility.html

Hope it helps!
-Moto