Upon closer examination it looks like the older versions of Android
are using exactly half of the margin declared, but only for views that
are center aligned (vertically or horizontally).  For example, if I
anchor an imagebutton to the right, then set a right margin of 10, it
works.  But if I center the imagebutton and set a right margin of 10,
older versions of Android will set the margin to 5.  I didn't realize
the numbers were wrong from the get-go (I used the visual layout tool
in the SDK), so I thought 2.2 was the culprit when my imagebuttons
were so spread out.

I suppose the best way to handle this is to fix all the margin numbers
in my XML files, then programmatically divide the margins by half on
the centered imagebuttons for older versions of Android.  Then if/when
the day comes when anything below 2.2 is no longer being used, just
remove that code.

Unless a better solution presents itself, I'll stop talking to myself
now.