If I take a default API level 3 app, load the icon using
BitmapFactory.decodeResource, and check Bitmap#getWidth and
Bitmap#getHeight, then I get the values of 48 on the Droid. Now if I
set android:minSdkVersion to 4 or higher in the manifest, then I get
the values of 72. This is because changing the API level changes the
default values for the screens supported:
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/supports-screens-element.html

It takes the app out of compatibility mode, where Android reports a
smaller screen resolution than actually exists, and it starts scaling
up resources from directories like the drawable directory, which is
considered medium density when there is no density specifier, not high
density.

So anyway, depending on how you are storing and loading the images you
are using for your textures, changing the API level may be causing
Android to resize them. Textures have to have power of 2 size
dimensions, so this resize can make an image that can be used as a
texture into an image that can't be used. It's pretty easy to prevent
the resizing, there are previous threads on that.