I am writing an app to move data between the host and the phone.
Initially I need to do it by copying files to the SDcard, then
mounting the SDCard as host mass storage ( while unmounting it from
the phone). And vica-versa.

I am trying to do this using the mount call defined in SYSCALLS.TXT. I
make the calls from a JNI C function library, and loadLibrary() etc.

AndroidManifest.xml has the uses-permission set up for
android.permission.MOUNT_UNMOUNT_FILESYSTEM.

The code builds, loads runs, but mount or umount return -1 and

errno == 1, which is "Operation Not permitted". It sounds to me like I
am close, but missing something.

What steps could I be missing. ?

Or am I using the mechanism incorrectly ? Or the wrong mechanism?

What is android.permission.MOUNT_UNMOUNT_FILESYSTEM used for if not
for this ?

Can someone help ?

thanks