Thank you for the reply and the suggestion. Having two threads, one
waiting for the other was the best solution for my problem, but
apparently calling wait() in AsyncTask is not supported. Probably I'll
have multiple AsyncTasks, which don't wait for each other, but which
combine subsets of the functionality of the original A1 and A2
AsyncTasks.

Until tonight I used to like the idea of AsyncTask. I don't understand
why the creators of Android cannot make such handy ideas more generic.

@Mr Murphy: BTW, it could be a good idea to extend each chapter of
your Android books with a section of known issues. The books are
great, but they could be better if they also explain the limitations
to an extent.