Hi pskink. I initially used Animations by setting dynamically
configured animations on the views I wanted to move around and then
starting the animations. The problem I found was that in the case
where part of the view is outside the display area as it animates back
into the display area the part that was outside the display area
remains black, i.e. only the visible part of the view will animate,
with a big black area moving along behind it. There were some other
posts about this issue but I cant seem to track them down.

I wonder if you are suggesting that I extend Animation to override the
paint (or some other callback) bits so that I use the animation as the
thread but control the movement myself? That would be kinda cool but I
cant see an obvious way to do this.

Ive only been developing on Android for a couple of weeks so I could
well be missing the obvious; thanks for your help.