I'm going out on a limb here, because I use Windows myself, but I've
seen similar behaviour with external sound cards and ASIO drivers/
applications. Some of the sound cards (my EMU 0202USB, for instance)
aren't capable of processing a second audio stream in addition to the
ASIO stream, which leads to the active ASIO application "hogging" the
sound card for itself, and sound from other applications doesn't work
at all.

Maybe there's a similar problem on OS X? Does the same thing happen
with the internal sound chip (I'm assuming even iMacs/MacPros have
one?)?