I'm having the same issue.  I made sure the permission was set as a child of
the manifest element in the manifest file.  It always fails in the emulator
with the same security exception you have.  I'm wondering if you have to
officially install the package to get it recognized by the emulator?  I just
run
it from eclipse with the 'run as' command.

Also, does anybody know why the 'reboot' method in the PowerManager class
seems to be missing in 2.1?

Regards

Richard