Vaccination programme going well
The UK has vaccinated more than 10 million people - more per head of
population than almost anywhere in the world.

This puts the government well on track to hitting its mid-February target
of offering all over-70s, health and care staff and the extremely
clinically vulnerable a jab.

Chart shows vaccination programme on course to reach 15m people by mid Feb.
Updated 4 Feb.
1px transparent line
Most importantly about 90% of people over the age of 75 have been
vaccinated. Given that three-quarters of Covid deaths have been in this
group, that should soon start having an impact on serious illness and
deaths.

But challenges do remain. There are signs that uptake in certain
communities, particularly ethnic minorities, may be lower. And from the
start of March, large numbers of people will start needing their second
dose, which will result in a slowdown in the rate of people being
vaccinated, unless supply increases.

That is possible. Pfizer, the manufacturer of one of the two jabs currently
being used in the UK, is expecting to increase its speed of production
after a slowdown in recent weeks.

The UK should also start to get its first supplies of the third jab
approved for use, the one made by US firm Moderna, in April. But, as
always, supply is fragile. Vaccine production is, after all, a biological
process that requires vaccine to be grown. There are no guarantees.