FYI - there are three types of builds that have varying levels of security:

"user" builds are secure. there is no way to get root access to the
phone (unless you count the keyboard console bug that was fixed in
RC30).  This is what ships for regular customers.

"eng" builds are insecure - adb runs as root user, which allows you to
get access to files within the /data partition, remount the /system
file system read/write, etc.  The eng builds are normally used for
development, so it is easier to debug and replace system files with
"adb remount" and "adb sync"

"userdebug" builds are somewhere in between.  The purpose is to run as
close as possible to a user build while still allowing access for
debugging.  adb runs as non-root, but the "su" command is enabled so
you can get a root shell.  And new in cupcake is the "adb root"
command, which restarts adb as root user, which basically allows you
to enable the adb commands that work in the "eng" build.

eng and userdebug builds also have some extra features enabled not in
user builds, like the ability to attach to any Java process with DDMS
or a Java debugger and saving bugreport files to the SD card by
pressing a key combination.

Based on what you are saying (the fact that "adb root" works), it
sounds like HTC has a userdebug build on their web site.

Mike

--
Mike Lockwood
Google android team