You'll pretty much need to figure it out yourself -- this is not something
we have thought about addressing, and I don't know exactly what your device
feature set is.

As far as boot time, there is quite a bit of work going on.  There are no
immediate plans to make major changes to this.  For the package manager, for
instance, the main thing it is doing is not "updating" packages, but just
collecting alll of the information it needs about the packages.  Changing
this would require writing all of its in-memory data structures out to
persistent storage and read and reconcile that with the current package
state at next boot.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer