I believe you will need to reset the MediaPlayer object to get it to
clear it's reference to the ISurface. In any case, you don't want to
be hanging on to a MediaPlayer that could be potentially keep the DSP
holding on to wakelocks while the activity is in background. This is a
sure-fire way to kill the battery.

Some of these restrictions will be lifted in a future release, but
you'll still have to be careful about how much you try to do at once
and how it will affect battery life.