You may check out the Service Lifecycle at

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/app/Service.html

Assuming you are going to use the Context.startService() call to start
the service (As against using the Context.bindService() call), the
service will stay up and running till you call Context.stopService()
from the activity or stopSelf() from within the Service code.

Also, irrespective of how many times you call startService, the
stopService call will stop the service.

Hope this helps,
Balwinder Kaur
Open Source Development Center
·T· · ·Mobile· stick together

The views, opinions and statements in this email are those of the
author solely in their individual capacity, and do not necessarily
represent those of T-Mobile USA, Inc.