You need to write your app correctly to save/restore its state with
onSaveInstanceState().  onRetainNonConfigurationInstance() is purely for
optimization.

This is simple Android SDK development; please look on android-developers
for help.  There are already lots of discussions there on this topic that
you can read.

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer