Overlays do not support addition.  You create a dummy entry in the
core/res/res and then replace dummys in overlays, when you add new
entries.
Overlays do not address this index question, AFAIK.

There is a problem in the CTS src, where it refers to
com.android.internal.id  (grep for this string)   Obviously it would
break, because CTS is compiled against the google cupcake tree, and
you are probably running that CTS binary against your locally modified
src tree.  It is bound to fail for those tests.

Besides the CTS issue above, your question still remains open.
Someone else can clarify, I hope.
-Jey