>> I have modified Jim's post to the Koolu forum on this announcement so
>> that it catches everyone's attention. I assume Jim is OK with that?

I plan to post the announcement on the Openmoko community mailing list. I'll
also ask to put it in the bi-weekly community update newsletter. That will
bring wide visibility.

Jim, I'll wait till tomorrow to post the message. Let me know if you want to
make any editorial changes before posting.

>> Which brings me to the subject of a forum. Following spam attacks
>> earlier this year Brian changed the setup so that every new poster had
>> to be moderated. This means I have to wade through tons of spam to
>> try and find the genuine new posts. Not sure I am willing to spend my
>> time doing this much longer when it could be fixed easily if I had
>> access to the phpBB server. Equally if I stop then the forum is not
>> accessible to new users.
>>
>> What do others think? Do we need to set up a new forum as well?
>
> Considering that as far as I know neither google code or gitorious have
> a forum it would have to be a 3:d site for this. I have never been on
> the koolu forums primarily because I think having a forum that requires
> registration for reading is really bad. So how much traffic has it been
> on the forums? Would it be worth the work to fix a new one? I would
> guess that a updated phpBB would not get as much spam. I could host one,
> but it would of course split the community somewhat. On the other hand
> we may get people on the forum that don't want to use a mailing list.
> There are such people I promise! =)

The Koolu forum used to be more or less active, but the past few months the
thing hasn't been attracting too much posts anymore.

I hear what you're saying... A mailinglist has clear drawbacks compared to a
forum from an end-user perspective.  But do we really need a forum? If the
mailinglist supports searching through archives via a website and we have a
wiki containing answers to FAQ, thenwill it add something at this stage? Do we
have someone willing to dedicate time to maintaining the forum and could this
slow down the actual development of the Cupcake branch or not?

As a developer trying to keep up with what's up you'll need to read the
mailing, check the wiki and bug reports, read patches or commits from others
and read the forum. Doesn't sound very effective, if you ask me.