>So the question is: what are the chances of the freerunner becoming useful
also in terms of speed some time in the not to distant future?
It all depends what you mean by useful and 'future'. There are work-arounds.
For example, turn off the touch-tones when dialing, and it will be much
faster. It is the most useful distribution thus far for the FreeRunner... at
least for me, although I would love to have all flexibility that debian
provides.

You are talking about a 400mhz wearable computer performing the tasks that
my 600Hz PC could only do!
So, find a linux distro that can work well on slower machines, lets say
200Mhz having a nice GUI (lets say a puppy linux), compile it for
FreeRunner, put zhone onto it, insert a nice keyboard, make it in such way
that  users are able to use microSD as a storage for the extra installed
programs, and your problem will be solved.