Hi,

sorry I didn't notice your question earlier.

Goldfish is not an appropriate branch for your gphone.  It is
appropriate for the emulator.  You need to check out the msm branch of
the kernel in order to build for the gphone.  You also need a pretty
old kernel:  the 2.6.27 tag fails to compile in the msm branch.  The
commit id I used to check out the kernel was c092738, as that's pretty
close to the 1.0 release.  (It's based on kernel version 2.6.25.)

So I checked it out like so:
git clone git://android.git.kernel.org/kernel/msm.git
cd msm
git checkout c092738

Now you can modify this kernel and compile it.

To run it, you need to create a book image with it and a ramdisk; look
for mkbootimg to do this, then use fastboot to boot the new kernel.

One final thing:  the wlan driver is a loadable kernel module, and
load.  (If you look at logcat, you'll see messages about
/proc/calibration being missing.)  You'll need to rebuild this and
replace the one on the phone with one that matches your kernel in
order to use wifi with your own kernel.  The source for the wifi
driver is in the android source dir (not the kernel source dir), in
system/wlan/ti/sta_...  To rebuild it, you'll need to run:
make KERNEL_DIR=/path/to/your/msm/kernel
along with the ARCH=arm, CROSS_COMPILE= variables you used when you
compiled the kernel.

Hope that helps,
--Juan