The limits are set with init.irc.  Note that the default limits for level 14
and 15 are quite hight, so if the problem is just the limits it means the
working set for your build of Android is significantly larger than that of
the stock system.  Have you made sure that you have the android out of
memory killer built in your kernel?

--
Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer