perumal316 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing a module that will print out the parameters of system
> calls. I want to do this for different system calls.
>
> Is it possible to write a config file to generalise the process? I
> tried searching the net but couldn't find any reference on doing such
> a thing.

Perumal,

I'm still not sure what you're doing, or why.  But if you want information
about syscall parameters, they you should look at strace.  strace is by
far the most advanced syscall tracing system available for Linux.  It already
supports dumping the parameters of calls, and interpreting them for the user.
(e.g. translating binary values for flags into human-readable strings,
following pointers to show sub-structure values, dumping the first bytes
of buffers, etc.)

You are undertaking an enormous task, that has already been done before,
and I would recommend reusing as much existing work as possible.

With regard to pushing information to user space - you may want to consider
using the tracing system (ftrace).  In fact, there may already be tracepoints
defined which provide the information you need, and there's existing
infrastructure for buffering this data and exposing it to user space.

The ftrace system has been in rapid churn for the last little while, but
if you're interested I could give you some patches to add much of the
current ftrace system to 2.6.29.  I'm not sure what kernel you're planning
on using for this work.

Don't know if this helps or not.
 -- Tim