Thanx for your fast response.

I looked up the msm_defconfig and found that indeed both drivers are
active.

# CONFIG_INPUT_KEYBOARD is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_JOYSTICK is not set
# CONFIG_INPUT_TABLET is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_TOUCHSCREEN=y
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_FUJITSU is not set
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_GUNZE is not set
CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_ELAN_I2C_8232=y                          <======
HERE
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_ELO is not set
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_MTOUCH is not set
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_INEXIO is not set
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_MK712 is not set
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_PENMOUNT is not set
CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_SYNAPTICS_I2C_RMI=y                 <======= and
HERE
# CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_TOUCHRIGHT is not set

after some googeling I found a statement that HTC used for the Dream
phone the ELAN touchscreen
as a second source. So they have both Synaptics AND Elan hardware in
use.

Probably this now is their way to only have one software version for
different hardware.
One of the drivers will fail but the other will configure correctly.

Again thank you for your fast response.

Br,
Michael