On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:34 AM, markr...@gmail.com <markr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have read greg kh post about the removal of android from the
> Linux kernel:
> http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/android-kernel-problems.html

First off, if you have questions about something I write, why not ask me,
and not some random mailing list?

> He says:
> "This means that any drivers written for Android hardware platforms,
> can not get merged into the main kernel tree because they have
> dependencies on code that only lives in Google's kernel tree, causing
> it to fail to build in the kernel.org tree."
>
> I tool a look at the drivers which he removed, from under
> drivers/staging/android.
>

> I tried to build them in an ordinary linux tree : 2.6.29.4-167
> and most of them I could build.
> For example, logger.c , or binder.c.

You can not just take random drivers and expect them to build in any
kernel release.

> So I don't understand - did he talk about other drivers ?

No, I removed the drivers/staging/android/ code from the kernel.org release.
This will show up in the 2.6.33 release in a few weeks.

> about
> which driver does he talk ?
> why did he removed these drivers, under
> drivers/staging/android?

I already said why they were removed.

> He said:
> "In order to get a working Android system, you need the new lock type
> they have created, as well as hooks in the core system for their
> security model."
>
> I grepped under drivers/staging/android for these locks (should be
> wakelock) and could not find any. Also I cannot find these security
> hooks.

The lock and hooks were never in the drivers/staging/android/ directory

hope this helps,

greg k-h