Hi Please find replies inline:-

Regards,
Karthik Poduval

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Ambuj <ambuj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a Junior Undergraduate in a University in India, I have been
> working with Embedded Systems Programming group of my university.
>
> Now, for some of the projects we have started to us Google Android
> based devices.
>
> Some of the things we are looking into are :
>
> (a) Interfacing Google Android based devices using USB Controller on
> phone to Micro-controller based devices. This might involve
> communicating using the ZigBee platform and writing device driver to
> support this.
>
> (b) Using Accelerometer on Google Android based devices to interface
> with Micro-controller and creating embedded device using this.
>
> We primarily using AVR ATMega32 and other micro-controllers.
>
> Now, I have the following doubts:
>
> (a) How different is Device Driver development on Google Android ?  is
> it same as Linux owing to it being a version of Linux kernel.
> It is same as Linux device drivers with a few exceptions, One exception
> that I know of is the power management framework of Andoird differs from
> regular linux,there is a concept called Wakelock here and this might differ
> from the Android method. The busybox (a set of binaries which are needed by
> shell as shell commands) are different as android specific commands are
> included here, but I think its customizable so you are free to include ur
> own.

> (b) Are there any resource available on-line that could augment
> this ?
>
> (c) Are there resources available on-line that specifically caters to
> integrating Google Android devices with Micro controllers. ARduino
> boards are somthing that I have found do this using Bluetooth, I am
> looking into interfacing using ZigBee maybe ?

   I know of the beagle board and Openmoko project for Android on devices.

> (d) Development package needed to begin Kernel development ?
>
> When I look into source.android.com , I find the entire development
> package to be 2.1 GB download. However, Linux kernel is itself
> 50Megabytes in size as a compressed tar. Do I need to download all
> this , to begin development and is there compressed tar for this
> available ?

 Even in Android u start off with the Vanilla kernel which is 50MB as you
mentioned, over it u apply the android kernel patch. I am not
so familiar with the exact steps, but you could find pre patched kernels
somewhere. What you have downloaded is the platform code that runs in the
user mode and comprises of the Android platform code and applications. Just
an analogy to make things clear, even though Linux kernel is just 50MB the
popular distributions extent to over gigabytes in size. Thats again because
they bundle several applications along with it which increases the package
size.

> and , finally(phew!) Can I do this development on x86 based PC or
> would I need access to ARM based device.

As I know Android has been ported to ARM, X86 and MIPS as well, there could
be several others as well. You choose an appropriate platform based on the
available resources. X86 might be the easier than the other platforms to
start off with.

--
Regards,
Karthik Venugopal Poduval