What I understood is that bionic needs to be in sync with the kernel.
But getting bionic in sync is a lengthy process.
It feels easier to use git to cherrypick the google specific changes
to a newer kernel version. This is how I do it now.
But it would still be helpfull if the google guys/girls just indicate
which kernel version to use for which android version.
Just a single line on a wiki would make a big difference.
Now the question to figure out which needs to be used for what is a
never ending question on the goolge forums.