On Aug 24, 2:58 am, anddev <sj.and...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have downloaded kernel/common.git from android git server and
> linux-2.6.35 branch, I am trying to port this kernel with froyo on my
> hardware.
> i the kernel i have only ported serial (UART) driver along with MTD
> driver (which is onenand device in this case). I dont have any
> framebuffer or console driver ready yet.
> I have build the froyo and i am using yaffs2 filesystem.
> when i booted i got
>  Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> i wanted to debug this problem but do not know where to start.
> my question is, what is the reason for init to fail?
> Do i need some other driver like frame-buffer or console driver to be
> ported first?

Yes, you need the framebuffer running.  Android is really a GUI system
running on top of a Linux kernel with a BSD userspace.  One of the
first things that happens (after the kernel and init are running) is
start the GUI (i.e. Android).  If the GUI fails, init dies and the
kernel halts (because there is no userland OS to run).  The same would
happen on your favorite Unix/Linux/BSD system if init couldn't start
up the userspace OS.

You may be able to remove things from init.rc (note that the this is
not a Unix/Linux/BSD init) and put a shell in instead but then you
don't really have Android running, you just have a single user Linux
with a BSD userspace.

Brad