typically you'd get your kernel from the processor vendor.  What processor
do you have on your board?

For example, if you were using a Beagleboard that uses the TI processor, you
can download the kernel from omapzoom.org:

git clone git://git.omapzoom.org/kernel/omap.git android-2.6.29

As for next steps, if you look at the omapzoom webpage (
http://omapzoom.org/wiki/Android_Getting_Started#Eclair) what the next steps
are on how to get famaliar with the environment and start running android.

Disclaimer:  this procedure is only specific to TI's processors, so you'd be
on your own if you are using other brands, but its a place to get an overall
idea...