Follow-up. Looks like I was approaching this entirely wrong. Instead,
I turned on CONFIG_USB_ANDROID_ACM and used the Android Gadget
composite driver. At first, couldn't get it to compile, but then I
found other posts, e.g.,
http://atechyblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/enabling-serial-port-on-nexus-one.html,
that said to turn off CONFIG_MSM_SERIAL_DEBUGGER and
CONFIG_MSM_FIQ_SUPPORT. Now the make seems to be working. At least,
it's well past the USB drivers. Haven't flashed the kernel yet and
tested, but it looks promising.