Try to use an externally powered usb hub. On the nexus one the usb
circuits of the chip were only powered through the usb itself. So in
order to use OTG or pure host mode you had to supple power from
outside. I can imagine this haven't changed in the Nexus S either.
Have a look at this page for more details on that :
http://sven.killig.de/android/N1/2.2/usb_host/ .