Depending on the transfer function of the audio output system, it may
be possible to simply shove moderate rate non-return-zero encoded data
through it by delivering PCM samples to the audio driver, and recover
it with an appropriate receiver circuit on the other side.

What is certainly possible is to implement a low rate modem using
frequency shift keying between two audio tones, or more complicated
phase and audio modulation constellations, and recover that.

For a limited set of discrete functions, sending DTMF type tones and
using a DTMF receiver IC or algorithm is another possibility.