I believe you need to enable the 'DEBUG' macro; however, I don't work with
printk()'s in the kernel because you are not supposed to use them to begin
with, so I wouldn't know.

I know pr_err(), pr_info(), need the DEBUG macro defined somewhere...if I'm
working on a driver I just do a '#define DEBUG' at the top.  Otherwise, go
into menuconfig and turn it on.