As my knowledge on Kernel, B/f any one start DD, we need some prerequisites
for Linux Kernel.
This  unerstand the linux kernel is taking about pure Linux Kernel.

You Just understand the Kernel Internals by using this Book[donot read
entire book, understand internal] &
Start DD as Freyensee suggestion.
Then we can get an Exact Sync b/w kernel to DD.

Regards,
Jagan