Android kernel has added some new features in the original Linux
kernel, such as binder IPC, ashmem, logcat, wakelock, etc.
As a result, you can not run the user-space Android software stack on the
traditional (mainline) Linux kernel.
You need to download Android's version of the kernel from
android.git.kernel.org.
Despite of these, it's exactly the same as anything you already knew about
the Linux kernel.
As a result, the development environment is identical to that of the
original Linux kernel.
And yes, you can use LDD's examples on Android. :)

William Liang
http://www.ntut.edu.tw/~wyliang