On Tue, 2011-09-27 at 11:43 -0400, Yao,Yanjun wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to build the Samsung Nexus S kernel, and flash it to my
> phone (Nexus S). However, no matter how I configure the kernel before
> compiling it, when I tried to flash it to the phone by using "fastboot
> boot zImage", the phone just stuck at the screen with "Google" and a
> lock on it forever.
>
> The following are what I have done:
> 1. Download Android Source and compile it.
> 2. Install sdk in the source
> 3. Download Samsung Nexus S kernel by using command:
>                git clone
> http://github.com/CyanogenMod/samsung-kernel-crespo.git kernel
> 4. Configure kernel:
>                make -C kernel O=out/target/product/crespo/obj/kernel
> ARCH=arm herring_defconfig
> 5. Compile kernel:
>                make -C kernel O=out/target/product/crespo/obj/kernel
> ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-2010q1/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
> 6. Copy zImage to the folder with "fastboot"
> 7. Flash kernel with:
>                fastboot boot zImage
>
> May I ask what have I done wrong? Is it because I didn't use the
> proper kernel code (the original version is 2.6.35.7-g1d030a7)?
>
> Any hint would be warmly welcomed.
>
> Thank you very much.

You need a boot image, not just a kernel.

This might be helpful:
http://glandium.org/blog/?p=2214

I actually compile my kernel using the toolchain from AOSP, e.g.
CROSS_COMPILE=/path/to/aosproot/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-

If you are in fact building and flashing AOSP, you can point the AOSP
build process to your own kernel and wifi module and have it package
them up as part of the boot.img that is normally produced rather than
the prebuilt ones under device/samsung/crespo by specifying
TARGET_PREBUILT_KERNEL and TARGET_PREBUILT_WIFI_MODULE on the make
command line or customizing the device_base.mk file.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency