On 10/05/2011 08:37 AM, Andy Green wrote:
> Hi -
>
> Recently at Linaro we've started a new tree
> linaro-androidization-tracking, which is pretty much "common-3.1"[1] at
> the moment on 3.1-rc8 basis.
>
> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=people/andygreen/kernel-tilt.git;a=summary
>
> We have already been running a kernel tree tracking Linus HEAD since
> 2.6.39, which has OMAP4 / Panda enablement stuff on top of Linus HEAD,
> so we have some experience with the rough and tumble.
>
> What we missed having was an "all year round" Androidization tree that
> we could combine it with to casually create Android versions of the work
> we were doing on Vanilla Linus HEAD basis.  We used common-3.0 for that
> for a while late in the kernel release cycle when it was tracking Linus
> HEAD itself and that was great.  But common-3.0 like the name suggests
> is really a release tree, and it stops tracking at release, and a new
> one starts up only late in the next kernel release cycle.
>
> Actually, it would be a big advantage for many folks to not be doing
> their Android kernel development on lagging releases, but by tracking
> Linus HEAD.  They would have access to latest stuff already and they
> don't have to think about backport or later forwardport stuff to a new
> release, it's constantly tracking HEAD and being adapted.
>
> One side-effect of using this tracking methodology is if they want
> release trees, they can just clone their tracking branch at the time
> Linus HEAD is at a release point and bam, a hopefully fully working
> release tree is there.  Another very nice side-effect is they can do the
> bulk of the work once on a Vanilla Linus HEAD basis, and get and Android
> version of that work routinely by merging or rebasing in the
> Androidization tree - instead of doing and validating work twice on
> separate Vanilla and Android trees.
>
> So linaro-androidization-tracking is our attempt at that Linus HEAD
> Androidization tree, moving it on regularly and fixing breakage as it
> happens throughout the cycle.  It's generic same as common-, it should
> be usable for any arch or board to Androidize a vanilla kernel that is
> on the same Linus HEAD basis just by merge or rebase action.
>

> It seemed this effort might be interesting for the guys that make the
> common- trees, since if there was a tracking Androidization tree, in
> fact common- releases for release trees like common-3.1 would just
> naturally fall out of it when Linus HEAD was at 3.1.  So I'd be very
> happy to hear any opinions about that.
>
> Another side-issue is we are also looking at refactoring the
> Androidization patchset into topic branches, at the moment they're kind
> of reflecting the history that they were applied on plus or minus some
> munging around.  So, all the net core patches for example would be
> together in one series, then all the wireless ones in a series on top of
> that, etc.  It seems they would be easier to maintain then, opinions on
> that approach are also welcome.

I've been working on a set of broken-out Android patches, in quilt format,
with exactly the same goal.  It's much easier (at least for me) to maintain the
differences as distinct patches using quilt, rather than as a series (or set
of branches) of git commits.

But possibly I'm just missing how to do this easily with git.
I would very much like to compare approaches, and possibly share
the workload of maintaining such a thing.
 -- Tim