I did try using the earlycon kernel command line argument, but it did
not work.

It turns out that the version of fastboot that I am using uses a non-
standard (nvidia specific) atag value to pass the bootloader
framebuffer to the kernel.  With this I can write to the screen.

Although I can write to the screen now I am curious as to why earlycon
did not work if anyone knows how to do this properly.

--Sam