On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 9:23 PM, James Snee <james.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use ftrace's function tracer to monitor the kernel while I
> perform various experiments. I decided to start with the emulator and
> work towards using a physical device. My problem is, everytime I
> enable the function tracer, everything hangs, without output.
>
> I am using the latest goldfish kernel I could find 2.6.29 and have
> built it with ftrace support (in menuconfig (kernel hacking -> tracers
> -> Kernel Function Tracer)). I boot it using the emulator and a
> standard (api level 9 I think) avd I made, passing the -kernel
> parameter.
>
> I can use the sched_switch tracer without any problems. It's just when
> I enable the function tracer (echo function > current_tracer). The
> whole thing hangs.

Hi!

I've met similar problem on Tegra2 board. After some investigation I
realized that ftrace fall into infinite loop because of some mach
specific function. I resolved this issue with echoing name of problem
function to set_ftrace_notrace.

If you think it's your case I suggest locate the problem by bisecting:
1. Get all available filter function by catting
available_filter_functions, i.e. cat available_filter_functions >
func.txt
2. Split func.txt into two parts, i.e. func1.txt and func2.txt
3. Exclude func1.txt from tracing, i.e. cat func1.txt > set_ftrace_notrace
4. Enable function tracer, i.e. echo function > current_tracer
5. If everything is ok, go to #3 and use func2.txt
6. If it hangs up use the file from #3 as a starting point for #2

Best wishes
Vladimir Murzin