I'll assume you mean the headers in bionic/libc/kernel which are derived
from external/kernel-headers. These headers are updated on an "as needed"
basis only. The process is:

When there is a need, copy in only the necessary updated headers from
kernel to external/kernel-headers/original.

Run the scripts described in bionic/libc/kernel/README.txt.

This generates derived headers under bionic/libc/kernel.

Important things to note are that (a) it's only done as needed, and (b)
only a subset of the headers are part of NDK, and the rest might be used
internally by parts of the platform but aren't a stable API.

So in the particular case you mention, if those headers haven't been
updated in a while, it means there wasn't a need yet.

For more details and rationale, refer to that README.txt in bionic.